Get a free quote
Top 10 Roofing Questions to ask before you hire a roofer
Does your company have a current license, workman's comp, and liability coverage?
All 3 should be a YES, and don't forget to ask for proof of each.
A great way to look into a roofing company is to talk with their references; go see the work they have done.
Is there a deposit?
What are the terms of payment for the roofing system installed?
What is the time frame before you can start the work?
What is time frame for competition once you do start the work?
If a re-roofing permit is required in my area, who is responsible for obtaining the permit?
In the event that your equipment, or supplier's equipment should damage my property, who is liable?
Do you hire sub-contractors for this work? If so, what are their names and license numbers?
If contractor does hire sub-contractors it is very important to obtain the certificate of insurance from that sub-contractor so you are not held liable for any accident that may occur on the job.
Who will haul away the old roofing material or project waste?
Do you require I do anything specific to prepare my home before the re-roofing project?
How do I get a quote for a new roof?
- Initial phone call(s) – Call several roofing companies in your area to find out who may offer a free estimate.
- Arrange a meeting time – Your roofing contractor should meet you at your convenience to ask you about your project and any concerns.
- Roof evaluation – Your contractor will typically spend 30 minutes to an hour getting a close look at your roof’s current condition and taking measurements.
- Proposal – You should get an estimate the same day or within approximately one business day.
What should I bring to my meeting with a roofing contractor?
- Any questions or concerns – Share what concerns you may have about your roof, and why you plan to replace it. Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
- Acceptable timeline – If you have a required start or end date, be sure to let your contractor know. Your timeline could affect your quote or even the availability of your roofing contractor.
- Any other expectations – Do you want a guarantee for workmanship quality? Do you require a well-defined termination clause? Be sure to discuss any expectations with your contractor.